- Run, a lot
- Buy all the gear you need – ensure mandatory kit
- Bag pack – make sure it all fits
- Eating bulk food leading in and during
- Preparing listening materials
- Walking Kelli through the plan – start hard, consistent throughout the night
- Get to the start line EARLY
Start 9am Saturday 21 May 2022
- Very happy with the starting first 30Ks. Blitzed it and got out in a solid leading pack.
- Kelli said she saw me on the tracker in first place at one point, yay
- The trail disappeared and terrain very tough
- Literally one point saying ‘this can’t be the way, it’s too insane’. Turns out it was the way and my hesitation cost me ~20mins
- Razorback ridge AMAZING
Aid Station 1: Standley Chasm around 630pm and dark
- Currently in 3rd place
- First time seeing Kelli ~8-9 hours in
- Maybe in darker spirits knowing it was almost certain I was running all night.
- The next 40 to the aid station weren’t as difficult as the previous 60 but I struggled to keep a running rhythm.
- Cain (4th) caught up and boosted me through a Canyon. One of the legends last races as he gives back time to his family.
- Once he left it was just myself… Bit daunting, so started LotR 1 audiobook. Scary witch kings, orcs, forest, barrow downs, willow.
- Lost on the track then mr Speed Dealer (5th) overtook me. He was on speed big time. The aid station person put his condition down as ‘Hungry’
Aid Station 1: 103K and around 3am
- Currently in 5th or 6th place
- Kelli was asleep in the car
- Final big aid station I did a shoe change and caught a 2nd wind then lost it. Then caught a final in the 10k end.
- Views probably would’ve been amazing and that’s the real loss here. Esp. near the end on euro ridge where I could see nothing.
- Kelli paced me the final 5 and almost took me down the wrong road lol
- End at sunrise. Wasn’t completely dead.
- Good time but feel I left a lot out there with the lost running
- Snuck into a campground to shower – that was hard
- Smashed a huge KFC feast
- I slept in the car as Kelli drove us to Uluru for our flight back to Sydney the next day – what a legend she is!
- Ankle / shin muscle or tendon issues plagued me for the next few weeks, next race is BTU110K in ~6 weeks post race!