Set Your Ultimate Goals
By setting your race goals first you’ll be able to plan your calendar and races to achieve these. It’s usually best to set goals into Priority Tiers (A/B/C 1st /2nd/3rd).
For myself, my (current 01/01/2022) goals are:
- UTMB – Ultra Trail Mont. Blanc
- UTMF – Ultra Trail Mount Fuji
- Western Mac Ellery 128K
- Priority (or Qualification Races)
- BTU 100
- Tamworth Trail Blazer 60K
- Priority (if it won’t impede my other events)
- UTA (50 or 100K)
Race Requirements / Entry Process
There’s not much point in looking further into a race if you can’t even enter. Look at the official website and find out how to qualify.
My example is UTMB (170K) and from my research thus far it’s one of the most difficult races to qualify for (for the general public). So if I qualify for UTMB, I should be pretty safe for all other races (still worth checking each race though).
UTMB 2022 Entry Process lists multiple criteria just to enter the lottery.
- ‘Unique’ to UTMB: Runners who have collected Running Stones by participating in the UTWT circuit. One Running Stone will provide one entry in the lottery. You can have up to 9 stones. They must also own a valid UTMB Index for the distance of their choice (To enter the UTMB® lottery, runners must own a valid UTMB® Index in the 100K or 100M category).
- More Standard: Runners who have acquired the requested qualifying points. UTMB: 10 points acquired between 01/01/2019 and 31/12/2021 (in 2 races maximum). 1 Entry for the lottery.
- Charity: making a €2,000 donation to one of the charitable associations supported by the organization
- Be an Elite (800+ ITRA score)
My UTMB Qualification
So it’s pretty clear that I will not be able to qualify for UTMB 2022. I have 0 stones, I’m ~120 points short of being ‘Elite’ and I only have 1 qualification point.
I will airm to qualify for the 2023 event.
The most efficient way to gain entry is through Running Stones as you can have up to 9 entries. I will opt for gain as many Stones as possible but also aim for qualifying points (as this will ensure I qualify for other events such as UTMF).
I have organised my races as below:
|Race Date||Category||Purpose||Location||Name||Stones / Points|
|9 April 2022||3rd||Other||Tamworth, NSW||Tamworth Trail Blazer||0|
|14 May 2022||3rd||Stones||Sydney, Australia||Ultra Trail Australia (50K)||3|
|21 May 2022||1st||Goal||Alice Springs, NT||Western Mac Ellery (128K)||5|
|9 July 2022||2nd||Points||Brisbane, Qld||BTU 100||5|
|27 October 2022||2nd||Stones||Chang Mai, Thailand||Thailand by UTMB (54 / 110K)||9|
|18 November 2022||2nd||Stones||Cheng Du, China||Panda Trail by UTMB||9|
|26 April 2023||1st||Goal||Fuji, Japan||Ultra Trail Mount Fuji||3|
|22 August 2023||1st||Goal||Chamonix, France||UTMB||0|
Finally, just because a race is not in the list now doesn’t mean you can’t do it. Just ensure it fits into your goals and plans.
Timing and Registration
Don’t miss registration dates!
- UTMB registration: January 6 to 18: pre-registration for the lottery & registration for priority runners
- UTMF Registration: January 7, 2022 – January 14, 2022 Lottery.
- Western Mac Ellery Monster 128K: Online Registrations for personalised bib close: April 30th , 2022
Where you have a race that may impact performance of another, rethink and maybe cancel the lesser priority race.